Low-income families and disabled individuals say new benefit reductions unfairly target the most vulnerable
A wave of criticism has erupted following the government’s decision to cut welfare support, with many warning the changes will disproportionately affect people already struggling financially.
The welfare reforms, announced in Chancellor Rachel Reeves’ spring statement on Wednesday, are projected to push up to 50,000 children into poverty. Many families reliant on benefits feel they are being singled out to carry the burden of the country’s financial difficulties.
In Wolverhampton, at a local community centre, residents voiced their anger and disbelief over the policy shift, particularly because it will impact those living with illnesses and disabilities.
“It’s meant to support people who are unwell. Why would they cut that?” questioned Melissa, a former carer currently expecting a child. She explained that while she understands the government’s goal of encouraging people back into employment, it remains unclear how cutting financial support will help achieve that aim — particularly for individuals facing barriers to work due to health conditions or caring responsibilities.
Philippa, another Wolverhampton resident, expressed a similar sentiment. Suffering from diabetes and other health issues, she recently applied for the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) but was rejected. She plans to appeal the decision but says the cuts seem aimed squarely at those on lower incomes. “It’s always the same people targeted — those just trying to get by,” she added.
The government says the welfare changes are intended to address the ballooning cost of sickness and disability benefits, which has risen sharply to £65 billion annually, particularly after the pandemic triggered a surge in mental health-related claims among younger people.
Currently, individuals deemed too sick to work can receive double the amount given to job seekers. However, many fear that accepting employment would result in the loss of this additional support.
Stephanie Leo, a senior community support worker in Wolverhampton, said that this fear discourages people from seeking jobs. “If people could continue to receive certain benefits while working, it would encourage many to take that step,” she noted.
Winston Lindsay, 57, who lives with multiple health conditions including spinal spondylosis, fears the impact of further cuts. Having previously worked as a social worker, he now runs a voluntary organisation for people with disabilities. He relies on his PIP payments to manage basic living expenses and warned that losing this financial aid would force him to make difficult choices, such as limiting food purchases and cutting back on heating.
“With winter coming, it’s going to be even harder. We’ll have to wear extra layers just to keep warm,” he said.
Ben Harrison, director of the Work Foundation, told Sky News that the reforms may push more people towards employment services. However, he cautioned that many could end up in unsuitable jobs, potentially worsening their health conditions and long-term employment prospects.